Would you like more information about SmartMove?
Request more information
TransUnion SmartMove FAQs and Other Resources
We’re committed to helping you make smarter business decisions. Get answers to your frequently asked SmartMove questions, watch our training demo and discover other useful landlord information—all in one place.
General SmartMove FAQs
- What is TransUnion SmartMove?
- How does SmartMove work?
- Who logs into SmartMove?
- What does it mean that SmartMove is a "consumer-initiated service"?
- What do landlords and renters need to have to use SmartMove?
- How long does the entire renter screening process take?
- Will I still get all the information I need to make the best decision for my property?
- Why is SmartMove geared toward independent rental owners and smaller property management groups?
- Can I pull a credit report for someone who does not have a Social Security number?
- What if I have additional questions?
What is TransUnion SmartMove?
SmartMove is an online screening service for independent landlords and their rental applicants. It was designed to help smaller landlords make educated leasing decisions by giving them access to the same tools for renter screenings that larger property management companies use.Back to top
How does SmartMove work?
SmartMove is used when someone is interested in applying to rent a property. In order to begin the process, the potential renter MUST provide an email address to the landlord. Once the email address has been provided, the process generally goes as follows:
- Landlord initiates a renter screening request using the email address provided by the applicant. (If the landlord is new to SmartMove, he or she must create an account and add at least one property.)
- Renter is sent the application request via email and chooses to accept or decline the screening. (If the applicant is new to SmartMove, he or she must create an account in order to accept or decline the request.)
- By accepting the request, the applicant initiates the release of his or her credit and criminal record information to the landlord through SmartMove. By declining, he or she cancels the rental application. Either way, no personal identifying information such as a Social Security number is released to the landlord.
- If the applicant accepts the request, the landlord receives credit and criminal history information and a SmartMove leasing recommendation to assist them in making a decision on whether to accept or decline the applicant.
- Renter is notified of the landlord’s decision.
Who logs into SmartMove?
Both the landlord and the renter will log into SmartMove throughout the screening process mentioned above. As a consumer-initiated service, SmartMove requires both members to play an active role in confirming the validity of the application process. This ensures the service remains secure.Back to top
What does it mean that SmartMove is a "consumer-initiated service"?
Unlike other renter screening services, the consumer is the one who actually initiates the release of his or her credit and criminal data with SmartMove. This arrangement benefits both landlords and consumers. For landlords, it reduces the paperwork and long approval process required to initiate a credit inquiry on a consumer. For consumers, initiating the release of their own data results in a "soft inquiry," which does not impact their credit score.Back to top
What do landlords and renters need to have to use SmartMove?
To keep the process secure, SmartMove is an online service. Landlords and renters will need to have:
- Access to the Internet
- Individual email addresses
If either party does not have access to the Internet, they may wish to consult a local library or management office. If either party does not have an email address, they will first need to establish one, which can be accomplished by using one of many free online email services. If there is more than one renter on an application, each renter must have a separate email address because email addresses serve as individual usernames. Each renter will then log in separately to confirm or decline the authorized release of their individual data to the landlord.Back to top
How long does the entire renter screening process take?
SmartMove provides instant results after the renter has confirmed their application and passed identity authentication online. The only delays are due to either party not completing one or more steps throughout the process.
How does SmartMove provide me with the same screening solutions that larger management firms use at a lower cost? SmartMove is online whereas larger property management firms have custom-built solutions that they host and maintain. By tapping into the powerful rental screening capabilities of TransUnion CreditRetriever, the expert screening service for larger management firms, you access the same credit data and decisioning tools, but it's online so you don't have the cost of hosting and upkeep.Back to top
Will I still get all the information I need to make the best decision for my property?
Yes. SmartMove combines the powerful data and analytics of TransUnion to provide you with a quick and reliable tenant screening service. You get all the information you need to make more informed screening decisions in less time, including a leasing recommendation tailored to your particular property. And SmartMove enables you to screen effectively without compromising the privacy or security of the applicant's personal identifying information.Back to top
Why is SmartMove geared toward independent rental owners and smaller property management groups?
The advantages SmartMove offers make it a valuable tenant screening service for independent owners and smaller management groups that may not need daily, weekly, or even monthly access to their screening solution. Management firms who screen a larger number of applicants each day may have to spend the time and resources to build and host custom screening solutions, but you don't. SmartMove offers cost-effective, web-based access to the same data and analytics used by the largest property management firms resulting in quick and reliable leasing recommendations.Back to top
Can I pull a credit report for someone who does not have a Social Security number?
At this time, SmartMove only has the ability to process an application for renters who have a valid U.S. Social Security number.Back to top
What if I have additional questions?
You may call or email SmartMove if you have additional questions.